Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life.

Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life. Sunset at Telegraph Point.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

An Elegant Jelly Cabinet - Construction Part 5 - Dovetailing the Carcass

I have an aversion to noise and dust in the workshop, so originally I was going to hand cut these dovetails.  Life - with all its unexpecteds - has a funny way of happening while we are making other plans.
And so it did ....
And so it has been a while since there were any Jelly Cupboardings ...............

Change of plan - use a jig and a router to cut the dovetails - handle the noise and dust and get on with it. Much quicker - even if noisy.

OK, these dovetails will be covered by the mouldings that I made earlier, so - nothing fancy - through dovetails will be fine.  And who makes the best through-dovetail jig in the world - Roger Gifkins of course - so let's use that.



Roger's through dovetail jig can be used on any router table.  My old Triton is perfect for this.
To cope with the dust and shavings, I have a shop made mdf dust hood that works reasonably well - held on here with an F-clamp.
The dovetails in the background are a set that I made from scrap, to test that the jig was registering correctly.

For a video demonstration of How to Use the Gifkins Dovetail Jig - see HERE

I found that my dust hose needed lengthening - what to do?


A supermarket fruit tin, with the top and bottom knocked out, fits like a glove.


Once the pins are cut on the ends of the top and bottom panels, it is time to address the tails on the side panels.  The Gifkins Jig makes light work of these as well, and a match with the top and bottom takes shape pretty easily.


It is important that the tails are cut on the side panels, and the pins on top and base. This is stronger in my opinion than the other way around.


A trial fit shows that the joint is pretty snug and will clamp up quite tight.


Here is the assembled carcass.  Not glued up yet, as the dados have to be cut for the shelves.  Easier to do before assembly.
The dovetails are cut a little proud - and will be planed back flush after glue up.

OK, not a bad afternoon's work - following the mowing this morning.
Great to see things starting to take shape.
Time for a shower and an ale .................

..... and happy woodworking to all ...........

2 comments:

  1. Tom love the Tin Can joiner only a bushy would come up with such as that.

    I agree with the noise factor, ven though I have my lathe and dusty going or bandsaw and dusty. I would rather work with just hand tools in the old form less noise.

    I have always been terrible at cutting dovetails by hand.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the tin got me out of a jam (heh, heh).
      I was going to message you today Ray, the toolrest arrived yesterday and now sits proudly on the lathe. A picture will turn up here sooner or later I am sure.
      Mucho Gratias my friend.

      Delete