Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life.

Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life. Sunset at Telegraph Point.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

That Chisel ......

The blade is finished and needs a handle.

White mahogany is an Australian eucalypt species that grows around these parts, and I think that this is a piece from one of these neighbourhood natives.

Roughing down to a cylinder on the lathe isn't terribly exciting, but the transformation to useful handle certainly is.

This is a large blade and will require an appropriately large handle.

I really must invest in a longer tool rest one of these days


I've made this handle longer than what is usual for most bench chisel handles, as I want the extra length for finer control at the blade end when using it for paring.

I have a brass ferrule that will fit the tang end to prevent any possible splitting. The hardwood handle is strong enough to take mallet blows when necessary.

A coat of bees wax and a quick polish with a handful of shavings, and the shape is complete.

Here is the finished article:



A good test of any chisel's degree of sharpness - is in the paring of endgrain.
This one isn't too bad at all:


It may not be pretty, but it is no longer the near reject that it first appeared to be.

Happy woodworking to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment